What is a bequest?
A bequest (also known as a gift or legacy) is a generous gift of money or assets that you leave through your Will. A bequest will enable MND Queensland to continue to provide quality support and services for people impacted by Motor Neurone Disease. Your generosity will help to ensure this can continue.
Did you know that there are different kinds of bequests?
- The Residue: This is what is left after you have made provisions to your family and friends. You may choose to have this residue donated to MND Queensland.
- A percentage: You can state in your Will that you wish to leave a percentage of your Estate to MND Queensland.
- A Specific Sum: You can state in your Will a specific sum to be donated to MND Queensland. NB: With this option, considering inflation and changes in circumstances it is necessary to regularly review your will.
Create a free Will online with Gathered Here
MND Queensland has partnered with Gathered Here, Australia's most-trusted free online Wills platform.
You can create your own Will free now, it can take just minutes. While you're creating your Will we ask you to please consider leaving a gift to MND Queensland to help us continue to be there when people impacted by an MND diagnosis need us the most.
You can create your Will online now at by clicking here.
How you can make a bequest to MND Queensland
We strongly recommend that you consult a qualified legal adviser when making your Will. We are not providing you with any legal advice however the following wording could be considered by your legal adviser:
If you wish to make a residuary gift:
“I give all the rest of my real and personal property whatever and wherever situated to the Motor Neurone Disease Association of Queensland for its general purposes and the receipt of the Secretary or other authorised officer of the Motor Neurone Disease Association of Queensland shall be a sufficient discharge to my executor or trustee.”
If you wish to donate a percentage of your estate:
“I give __% of my estate to the Motor Neurone Disease Association of Queensland for its general purposes. The receipt of the Secretary or other authorised officer of the Motor Neurone Disease Association of Queensland will be a sufficient discharge to my executor or trustee.”
If you wish to donate a specific sum:
“I give the sum of $______to the Motor Neurone Disease Association of Queensland for its general purposes. The receipt of the Secretary or other authorised officer of the Motor Neurone Disease Association of Queensland will be sufficient discharge to my executor or trustee.”
After the Will (or “Codicil” – if you have amended your current Will) is made it would be appreciated if you or your legal adviser could provide to MND Queensland either a copy of your Will or particulars of the relevant provision, the date of execution and the name and address of the executor or executors.
If you subsequently make any changes to your Will which effects that provision, it would be appreciated if you would notify MND Queensland.
Your original Will is a legal document and should be held in a safe place such as a bank or your legal adviser’s strong room. You should hold in your papers a copy of the Will with a notation on it as to where the original is to be found.
Most of the Bequests we receive are from everyday hard working people who want to make a difference when they are gone.
- We will always respect your privacy
- We recognise that your family and loved ones will always come first
- We promise to use your gift carefully and cost effectively so it will do the most good
- We will manage whatever gift you choose to leave us with efficiency, sensitivity and respect