What is Physiotherapy?
A Physiotherapist is an Allied Health Professional. A comprehensive functional assessment will focus on understanding you and what is important to you so that they can assist you to achieve your goals whether at home, work or in the community. They will work with you to provide individualised advice, support and programs that will help you maintain independence and mobility. Regular reviews will be arranged to ensure management is current as your MND progresses.
Our Physiotherapist will only be supporting people with MND so that they can provide a service that recognizes that everybody’s journey is an individual one and take into consideration future needs as well as immediate ones.
How can MND Queensland’s Physiotherapist help?
Our Physiotherapist can assist with addressing a range of issues. They will provide a functional assessment that will help identify the issues and how they may be best addressed. Treatment may include:
- Targeted exercises program and advice including stretching and range of movement, balance, and strength maintenance
- Equipment prescription to maintain independence and mobility
- Positioning and postural advice
- Trial of orthotics to support postural alignment and function
- Pain management
- Fatigue management
- Respiratory education and referral to Specialist as required.
- Education and training for formal and informal Carers in home programs and manual handling
Who can access Physiotherapy from MND Queensland?
MND Queensland’s Physiotherapy services are available to anyone with MND in South- East Queensland. We will explore the option of regional visits in the near future if our clients request this support.
There is a cost associated with the service and this is usually met through NDIS funding or a Home Care Package (through My Aged Care).
Referrals for Physiotherapy services can be made by completing the form below: